Friday, October 21, 2011

The Peanut Harvest

It was an exciting day on the farm last Tuesday, it was peanut harvesting day! The recent frost had killed the tops of the plants which meant it was time to pull them. I've learned a lot about growing peanuts over the last few years, and compared to the last time I wrote about them yields have at least doubled per plant in our gardens. I definitely see a lot of potential in peanuts becoming a more common crop in Nova Scotia, they're one my easiest and lowest labour crops to grow and they're pretty productive too (some plants in good soil produced up to 18 big pods, each with 3-4 seeds). We filmed a short video the other day of the harvest, check it out and send it around!

4 comments:

  1. Loved the video, you will have to do more of these.:) You have inspired me to try growing peanuts. In order to get the video to fit all you have to do is change the html code "width" to a smaller #, I use 400.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the video! I might even make some more this afternoon...

    THANK YOU for the video tip too, it all fits on the screen now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat. I didn't know we could grow peanuts in Nova Scotia. I'm full up for next summer, but I'll think about planting them for the summer of 2014. Thanks. Great video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should update your blog! I would love to know what one of my favorite Nova Scotian farms is up to.

    ReplyDelete